Monday, August 6, 2007

MBA Resume Tips

Tip 8 -

Don't ram your MBA down my throat!
I know you are proud about your MBA achievement. And so youshould be. I should know. I am. The MBA experience is atough one. You will have spent many long and tortuous hoursreading, thinking, debating, writing, presenting, analysing.

Why shouldn't you ensure everyone knows you have an MBA?Well, because there are several mis-perceptions in the jobmarket about the usefulness of the MBA qualification. Mostlythey are founded on people's perceptions of how good (or not)the manager/leader who has an MBA actually is.

Sadly, in manycases, the MBA manager is not particularly effective and soyou and I get tarnished with the same brush.Another perception is that the MBA manager thinks he/she knowsit all - now that they have an MBA! Which of course, theydon't.

So the term Master of B---- All comes up all too often.So, in your CV please do NOT blast it out at me in the very first line - the title. Don't head up your CV with 'JoeBloggs MBA'. It will turn some people off and your CV needsto promote you, not demote you.Check your CV now. Does it shout out 'I'm an MBA hire me'from the first line?

Sumit Jaswal

No comments: