Tuesday, August 14, 2007

What on the earth is “GREEN”

Hi there

Well I am back and I must say "I am Sorry". I know I have been gone for a long time. It’s like 7 days now. The fact is that i was busy with some other creative work (Making College Management Festival Brochure). Since i just managed to finish the work today I thought why not to write about some thing that just was running in my mind for while I was making the Brochure.

We selected "Green" as the theme for the festival this year which was then merged with the Corporate India. while I was working on the program details pages I came across the fact that most of the students were really not aware of what this entire “Green” is about, I am sure that the student are totally aware about the Corporate India and it M&A activities. So I deicide that why not to write some thing on “Green”.

When I Googled “Green Marketing in India” I was really overwhelmed by the number of result pages that it showed me and same was the case with the Green Finance. Seem like we are not the only one who is thinking green.

Here is the definition that I found online for both Green Marketing and Green Finance.

Green Marketing:
According to the American Marketing Association, green marketing is the marketing of products that are presumed to be environmentally safe. Thus green marketing incorporates a broad range of activities, including product modification, changes to the production process, packaging changes, as well as modifying advertising. Yet defining green marketing is not a simple task. Other similar terms used are Environmental Marketing and Ecological Marketing.

For example, Introduction of CNG in New Delhi, capital of India, was being polluted at a very fast pace until Supreme Court of India forced a change to alternative fuels. In 2002, a directive was issued to completely adopt CNG in all public transport systems to curb pollution. (Source: http://en.wikipedia.org)

Green Finance:
According to the Australian based www.greenfinance.com “Green Finance is a no-cost, environmentally friendly, carbon-neutral finance program for cars and light commercial vehicles”. What www.greenfinance.com does is, their program is designed to plant enough native trees to offset that vehicle’s CO2 emissions. All of their car and light-commercial-vehicle customers are automatically enrolled into Green Finance – and it doesn’t cost them anything. There are no hidden fees, catches or requirements, no penalties for early termination of a contract and no ongoing fees or charges.

All it means when we talk about Green is that we give something in return to the natural environment when we take something from it.

Sumit Jaswal

No comments: